Who: Julia Reed grew up in Greenville, Mississippi and is a contributing editor at Newsweek and is the author of Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena; The House on First Street, My New Orleans Story; Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (With Recipes) and But Mama Always Put Vodka in Her Sangria.
When: Sunday, December 7th at 1 pm
What: Julia Reed’s lecture on “Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties”
Where: Prime Osborn Convention Center, Downtown Jacksonville
More About Julia:
- Julia writes the “food and drink” column for Newsweek, and is the creative director of taigan.com, a retail website where she also edits the site’s “magazine,” Fetch.
- She is a regular guest on CNN and is a contributor to Garden and Gun, Conde Nast Traveler, ElleDécor, The New York Times and Vogue.
- From 1988 to 2008, she was senior writer at Vogue, where her profile subjects ranged from George and Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Edwards to Robert DeNiro, Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta.
- She is chairman of the board of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art in New Orleans.
Julia is a regular contributor to the blog “The Women on the Web” and it is here that we found some inside scoop on some of her favorite things. Check them out below!
We included drinks, shoes and foods here…but check out her other favorite things on her blog. But, really – all you women reading this – we know you have to love one of the three categories of drinks, foods, and shoes! Enjoy.
Some of Julia’s Favorites:
- Steamed artichokes with lemon butter
- Salmon raw, smoked, grilled or poached
- Fried chicken
- Squash casserole
- My mother’s vegetable soup and cornbread
- My mother’s fried eggplant
- Just-picked white corn
- Campbell’s tomato and chicken noodle soups
- Oysters on the halfshell
- Fresh gulf shrimp
- Caviar on blini
- Souffle potatoes from “21“
- Mackerel tartar with ossetra caviar and sauce remoulade from Le Bernardin if only they’ll put it on the menu again
- A perfect filet of sole with boiled new potatoes and sauteed spinach, preferable at Wilton’s in London
- Hot tamales from Doe’s Eat Place in Greenville, Mississippi
- Vietnamese beef pho and cha gio
- Porcini mushrooms
- A good Roman steak, preferably from Nino in Rome
- Serrano ham from Spain
- Smithfield ham from Virginia
- Leg of lamb
Allison Dewan is a member of the Social Media Committee for the Art and Antiques Show of the Women’s Board of Wolfson Children’s hospital. She, like Julia Reed, loves drinks, food, and shoes. Also, like Julia, Allison attended college in Washington D.C. and is a sucker for a good Serrano ham.